The Global Cardiovascular Innovation Center (GCIC) preclinical research and development facilities provide state-of-the-art interventional and surgical resources for testing the next generation of devices and procedures.
Featuring two large procedure suites each equipped with the latest in imaging, surgical, monitoring and recording equipment, along with conscious testing and telemetry capabilities for on-site extended follow-up, the facility is ideal for a wide range of cardiovascular applications. The two large subject rooms are complemented by four additional surgical stations for conducting studies on smaller subjects with microscope observation capabilities, surgical preparation room, a conference room, and videoconferencing capability for observing procedures remotely.
This research and development facility offers a unique opportunity for industry partners to work with researchers, clinical investigators, interventionalists and surgeons at one of the premier and innovative cardiovascular healthcare institutions in the world, whether it be for early stage research, product development, or physician training on new devices or procedures.
Click to view this page as a printable PDF
The links below offer more information:
Research initiatives being conducted include:
- Developing new catheter-enabled and surgical treatment instrumentation and techniques.
- Conducting basic science and translational studies into biochemical, cellular and genetic approaches to diagnosing and treating cardiovascular disease.
- Specific initiatives directed towards Atrial Fibrillation, Heart Failure, Cardiac Assist, Cardiac Neurostimulation, Regenerative Medicine Therapies, Heart Valve Therapies.
Two spacious preclinical surgical suites capable of hemodynamic and electrophysiology studies plus four smaller microscope-equipped surgical stations can support diverse preclinical research and development featuring:
- Large and small subject models
- Housing and care capable of supporting six month or longer chronic study series in addition to acute studies
- Telemetry and conscious testing capability
- Experienced staff ensures efficient and productive studies
- Video conferencing with the ability to record and view live procedures â€“ ideal for information exchange and training.
- Philips BV PulseraÂ® single plane fluoroscopy imaging
- Siemens DynaCTÂ® â€“ rotational angiography with X-Leonardo image reconstruction capability
- Siemens Acuson SequoiaÂ® ultrasound imaging system w/ transthoracic, transesophageal echo (TEE) and intracardiac echo (ICE) imaging capability.
- GE Vivid 7Â® ultrasound imaging system
Anesthesia and Monitoring
- Anesthesia machines, ventilators and monitoring systems to accommodate all large model species
- GE PruckaÂ® EP System â€“ for monitoring ECG, BP, and measuring ablation catheter parameters
- Data Sciences PonemahÂ® ECG and biopotential monitoring/data collection system
- St. Jude ESIÂ® cardiac electrical mapping system (NavX)
- Biosense-Webster CartoÂ® cardiac electrical mapping system
- Intuitive Surgical DaVinciÂ® surgical robot
Other equipment is can be made available for specified studies with advance notice. Please call for specific equipment needs.
Full service pathology lab, including:
- Gross and fine histological sample prep and analysis
- Tissue staining
- Tissue analysis
- Professionally staffed and managed by full-time employees of the Cleveland Clinic.
- Compliance with the Public Health Service and institutional policies
- Institutional Review Board reviews and approves all study protocols
- Procedural control and review of data
- Procedural record keeping and data storage
- State of the art quality control practices to ensure highest study integrity
- Study data generated in the labs are routinely used to support regulatory submission
For more information contact: